Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
November 12, 2018
<< November 2018 >>
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Upcoming Events
No Events Found

 

Store Front Fire Downtown
Updated On: Sep 18, 2011

Store's contents destroyed by early morning fire

LEWISTON — A downtown business was declared a total loss Sunday after an early morning smoldering fire attributed to overloaded extension cords destroyed its inventory.

Lewiston fire Capt. Tim Myers said that a report of smoke on the second floor of 258 Lisbon St. came in around 4:30 a.m. Sunday. The African Store is located on the first floor of the brick building between Chestnut and Pine streets. No one was injured in the blaze.

According to Myers, crews did not discover any fire on the second floor of the structure and actually searched other floors of the multistory building before discovering the blaze on the first floor inside the store after feeling the storefront windows.

Myers said the cause of the smoldering fire was determined to be misuse of extension cords. He said upon entering the store fire crews found multiple extension cords that were overloaded. Most of the damage was caused by smoke and heat inside the store, but the structure itself is considered repairable.

Myers said the building is owned by Emilio Andoniades but did not know if he is the store owner as well. The upper floors of the building are apartments, but Myers did not know if any of them were occupied.

About 20 firefighters from Lewiston and Auburn responded to the early morning fire and cleared the scene about 6 a.m.

 

CITafricanstorefireP042511.jpg

 


Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?

 

Local #785 in Memory of:
Captain Phillip Basinet
1867 - 1909
Private Thomas King
1881 - 1909
 Private John B Byrnes
1872 - 1910
Captain Russell Tarr
1901 - 1949
Private Marcien Vallee
1922- 1949
Captain Willie Mailhot
1904 - 1965
Private Paul Nadeau
1913 - 1966
Lieutenant Emilien Couture
1926 - 1967
Private Gerard  R. Desjardins
1947 - 1982
Important Links
Visit iaff797.org!
Visit mesothelioma.net/!
Visit www.iaff.org!
Visit mda.org!
Visit www.iaff.org/HS/LODD/index.html!
Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Lewiston-ME/Lewiston-Maine-Fire-Department/158455465858?v=wall&ref=ts!
Professional Firefighters of Maine
 
 
IAFF Local 785
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

109094 hits since Apr 11, 2009
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image